Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tim Nickens Discussion

Before this public affairs course, I never realized how much information could be obtained from public records. I was also unaware that tape recordings, emails, and messages on internet sites such as Facebook could be attained through public records. Knowing this information has made me cautious as to what I put on the Internet.
Probably the most interesting and pertintent part I learned from Nickens' discussion was that the most a citizen can be charged for a public record is 15 cents per page copy. Equally, I was intrigued to learn a person asking for a public record is not required to state who they are or why they want the public record documents they are asking for. It was especially fascinating learning it was plausible for me, a student, to enter USF President Judy Genshaft's office, and get her emails and schedule for the week without questions.
I found the 15 cents per page information helpful because I was recently in a dispute with a company who wanted to charge me as much as one dollar per page copy for public record documents. I was under the impression I didn't have to pay the amount, but I had no way to back up my theory. Now I have something to prove I should not be overcharged.
The topic Nickens spoke about most was in relation to how public records are vital because they keep people informed about how and what elected officials are doing with their time and money. The example Nickens gave was a former Florida house speaker who was caught, through the use of public records, using taxpayer's money to build a airplane hanger for a friend's private jet. Nickens' reporters at the St. Petersburg Times broke this story, showing how public records can be used to take down even the most powerful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment